Tuesday 13 August 2013

Tuesday 13th August 2013

The day of the queue! Everything started off well this morning and we were underway by 8.45am. We passed some canal workmen repairing a bridge and stopped for coffee by a little gift shop. Nothing caught my eye but the garden was lovely.


At one point a hired boat came up behind us and asked to pass. This was rather a surprise as we were not going that slowly. I asked if they were due back at a hire base. The reply was "No, but we have an itinerary" I didn't realise that you could work to a timetable when cruising on a narrowboat but we let them pass and the man on the tiller made a real mess of it! 
A short while later we arrived at a lock and the boat which had passed us was only 2 ahead and there were TEN in the queue! We have never seen so many boats before this year and apparently it was very unusual. We had to wait for 2 hours to get through. Good job it was lunch time. This is the photo from the lock. We are the second boat in the queue and you can just see Graham holding the boat on the mid rope. 

We had an idea of where we would like to get to tonight ( but not an itinerary) however after chatting at the locks we decided to change our plans and are eating at 'Ye Olde Barbridge Inn' tonight. The planned meal will be deferred. 

As we moored a little earlier than expected I decided to clean the ventilation mushrooms on the roof. (this is partly because Alan and Chris are coming again and they did them last year and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't done them since.) I was advised to use Bar Keepers friend. Well they look exactly the same as they did before and not at all totally clean and shiny. I think that they had gone too long in the first place - at least that is my excuse!


No comments:

Post a Comment